Saturday, October 31, 2009

Introduction

God has brought me to a place in my life where I have an abundance of free time. I wish to fill my time with some enriching, something thought-provoking, in other words, something that is so the opposite of everything I am tempted to reach for first to fill my time. The idea came to me this morning:

I have always enjoyed reading from a collection of four minute essays which my grandmother, Jeanne Beaumont, (author of the Christian devotional "I send it to you free" ) gave to me. These essays are no longer in print, and I think that most people would pass over them on first glance because they are getting to be nearly 100 years old; the author uses language of his time that is not politically correct in our current society. But these essays, by Dr. Frank Crane, in many ways, remind me of classics such as Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis, or My Utmost for His Highest by Oswald Chambers. There have not been many in this category, and I have been disappointed by the books of our generation that have been undeservedly compared to these classics.

I have decided to blog about these 4-minute essays by Dr. Frank Crane. I like the fact that his books would not necessarily be labelled as Christian. His topics dwell on daily life, perceptive observations about society, and thought-provoking ideas on "how the world can be made a better place." However, through his writings, God's wisdom shines through. I want to ask hard questions of myself, and figure out more about what I believe. This is an exploration into faith, one that will hopefully grow good fruit in myself and anyone who reads this.

No comments:

Post a Comment